The 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) Program is the only dedicated federal funding for afterschool, before school, and summer learning. President Trump’s proposed FY18 budget eliminates 21st CCLC funding. It’s now up to Congress to counter the cut—or eliminate 21st CCLC thereby getting rid of programs relied on by families across the nation to keep kids safe and engaged.
If enacted, nearly two million children – and 27,000 in Georgia – would lose access to the high quality afterschool, before school, and summer learning programs they need. It is more important than ever to reach out to your Congressmen and let them know the importance of afterschool and the 21st Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) in Georgia!
Below are different ways for you to show your support for 21st CCLC, regardless of whether you are a 21st CCLC program, parent, partner, or concerned citizen.
Support #21stCCLC on Social Media!
Post about why you support 21st CCLC using the hashtags #AfterschoolWorks OR #Invest3to6 on social media sites like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to help spread the message! To access the full social media toolkit that includes district-specific posts, click here.
Can’t Wait? Tweet something now!
- The research is clear- #21stCCLC helps students succeed in college, careers, & life: http://bit.ly/2nOaKCF #AfterschoolWorks [click to tweet this!]
- #21stCCLC provides 27,000 of GA’s youth with a safe & enriching place to go after school: http://bit.ly/2nOaKCF [click to tweet this!]
- Demand for afterschool in GA is greater than ever. Now is the time to invest in #afterschool NOT eliminate #21stCCLC! [click to tweet this!]
- An overwhelming 88% of GA’s parents support public funding for #afterschool programs! Please support #21stCCLC! [click to tweet this!]
Consider posting a meme or photo with your post!
Reach Out to Your Congressmen
We strongly encourage you to reach out to your Congressmen directly and ask them to support the 21st CCLC program! Your Congressmen’s contact information can be found here. Remember that calling and leaving a message with their aid is most effective!
After you have reached out yourself, encourage your program’s partners, networks, families, and anyone else you can think of to reach out using one of our sample action alerts below:
- General action alert language
- More detailed action alert for Georgia’s 21st CCLC sites
- Action alert language for parents and families
- Afterschool Alliance’s action alert
Share Research on Why #AfterschoolWorks
Check out national and state level facts sheets on 21st CCLC and afterschool! These facts sheets are a great resource to share the value of 21st CCLC electronically or in-person with your network!